Bread machine- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Tableage

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Dec 16 04:58:27 PST 2005

On Dec 15, 2005, at 4:23 PM, marilyn traber 011221 wrote:

> Next question. Margali's folks gave them a bread machine- Oster,
> does up to 2
> 1/2 lbs, if that makes a difference. It's pretty nice, with several
> baking
> options. Unfortunately, the book for the machine vanished after a
> couple
> days, and I've been improvising with recipes I've found on line.
> We've found
> a good white bread, but when I eat bread, I want a wheat bread,
> preferably
> multi grain, that will be good for sandwiches. The breads we've
> been making
> have been good, but don't really have a consistancy that's good for a
> sandwich bread. Does anyone have a bread machine recipe that would
> give me a
> good multigrain, that would work for sandwiches?

Does "good/work for sandwiches" mean not tearing and gooshing
sandwich filling, mayo, or whatever, through, and/or not crumbling
while you try to eat it?

If so, you might need more gluten in your dough, either by adding
vital wheat gluten, using some portion of high-gluten bread flour
mixed with whole wheat, or by using a higher-gluten, "harder" wheat
flour.

I like chapatti flour for this: I get it in five pound bags from the
Indian grocery not too far away (Patel Brothers, I believe it's now a
chain), it's not significantly more expensive than other whole wheat
flours, and it's a fine whole grain durum wheat flour. Also makes
good whole wheat pasta...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782