[Sca-cooks] grilled Cuban sandwiches?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 19 09:34:37 PST 2005

Christopher wrote:
>A Cuban pressed (grilled) sandwich is a fine food. They consist of
>
>Cuban Bread
>sliced mojo pork (cured bitter orange juice)
>sliced ham
>Swiss cheese
>yellow mustard
>slice pickles
>pressed on a hot grill

Stop! Stop! Stop! Oh, you're making me so hungry and so nostalgic!
This sandwich is SOOOOOO much better than it sounds. Oh, bliss! Oh,
joy!

When i lived in western LA (all the various times i've lived in LA
i've always lived in the western area - West LA, Santa Monica,
Venice, Vista del Mar) there were some good Cuban restaurants.

Versailles on Culver Blvd. in Culver City (shortly before Marina del
Rey) (and it's STILL there) had wonderful garlic roast pork - melt in
your mouth - but not the sandwich.

Miami Spice (yes, it WAS the 1980s) on Venice Blvd. in Venice. It had
THE sandwich. Alas, it is gone. I wanted to go there last year when i
was in the area and get one. It was the only thing i ordered there,
well, besides the garlicy and buttery yucca. It was SOOOO good, SOOOO
good. Sigh.

Man, oh, man, my mouth is watering...
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)