[Sca-cooks] cordials

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 22 09:56:46 PST 2005

It's interesting that I got into a discussion with a Laurel
at the Roses tournament where I displayed a month
or so ago.  I'd basically put on my documentation that
I felt cordial tasting was a little silly as it was mainly
used for drinking with bitter medicines and that some
future 20th Century Historical Society may have
tasting competitons for cough syrup.

She insisted that cordials were used as after dinner drinks
in some eras to settle the stomach. I argued that I had
never seen any evidence of such and it would go against
Galen's Humoral Theory. Such drinks may have been
enjoyed in the Elizabethan period when sugars were so
popular but not really before. The Laurel was unconvinced.

I was later informed that I should have basically said,
"That's interesting, do you have any documentation I
haven't found? I'd love to know about that."

Well, I guess that's why I'll never be a Laurel.  :-D
I need to work on that diplomatic statement thing.

Gunthar