Challenging beliefs RE: [Sca-cooks] cordials

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 22 11:08:40 PST 2005

I have found that people (including myself) are often passionately attached
to their beliefs about their favorite topics.  I find challenging their
beliefs is often like discussing with some Christian conservatives the
similarity of the Last Supper to ritual cannibalism in other cultures.  You
get reactions from looks of disbelief to physical violence upon your person.

Asking them for their source or a little detail about what time and place
they are talking about can pull the curtain back a little and challenge
without confrontation.  Sure, you don't HAVE to avoid confronting since
you're a king-level-type fighter, but it can appear more graceful when you
want to.  Then there is the other end of the spectrum that leads to the
label of "period-police" or "garb-nazi".

Heck! Have fun and pull back the darkness . . . you seem to have a knack for
humanness when you're out there asking the good questions.