Sausage Condiments was Re: [Sca-cooks] Alexa sent you the Dancin' Doughboy!

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 24 11:46:22 PST 2005

> Adamantius
>
> *NB: the nasty red onion goop is a New York staple for hot dogs sold
> from streetcorner pushcarts -- it is basically an onion chutney of
> thin consistency, served hot, containing cooked, shredded onions,
> some kind of sugar, vinegar, spices and either a tomato product or
> paprika, depending on who you talk to, to make it sort of orangey-red.

Something not obtainable in any fashion on the west coast, even at the rare
hotdog pushcarts or the two Nathans in LA County.  My Brooklynese father was
jonesing for it last year so I found a recipe that satisfied his craving.
Yes, you can find =everything= on the internet.

1     tablespoon canola oil
4     cups thinly sliced onions
3     teaspoons minced fresh garlic
1     tablespoon flour
8     ounces red tomato sauce, smooth not chunky
8     ounces water
2     tablespoons corn syrup
3     teaspoons vinegar
2     bay leaves
1/2     teaspoon dry mustard
1/8     teaspoon cayenne pepper
1     dash ground cloves

1.  Saute the onions and the garlic in oil, simmering, about 15 to 20
minutes, until tender, not brown.
2.    Add the flour and stir and cook at least one minute.
3.    Add remaining ingredients, cover and simmer 50 minutes.
4.    If it's getting too thick, add a touch more water.
5.    Remove bay leaves.
6.    Serve on those next bbq hot dogs, with another slather of mustard on
top.

Sorry Master A, Bon Appetit everyone else,
Selene Colfox