[Sca-cooks] Noty or Notye

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 1 00:13:10 PST 2005

Doc gave a period recipe for Noty or Notye:
> On Jan 31, 2005, at 11:30 AM, Micheal wrote:
> >  I once had a dish of Noty or Notye can`t remember which that was
> > creamy instead clear broth would anyone have the recipe. I now its in
> > one of the books but I can not remember which one.
> > Walnuts, Sausage meat, and cream, were some of the ingredients.
>
> Is this the one?
>
> Noteye. Take a gret porcyoun of Haselle leuys, & grynd in a morter as
> smal as thou may, whyl that they be onge; take than, & draw vppe a
> thrift Mylke of Almaundys y-blaunchyd, & temper it with Freysshe
> brothe; wryng out clene the Ius of the leuys; take Fleysshe of Porke or
> of Capoun, & grynd it smal, & temper it vppe with the mylke, & caste it
> in a potte, & he Ius ther-to, do it ouer the fyre & late it boyle;
> take flour of Rys, & a-lye it; take & caste Sugre y-now ther-to, &
> Vynegre a quantyte, & pouder Gyngere, & Safroun it wel, & Salt; take
> smal notys, & breke hem; take the kyrnellys, & make hem whyte, & fye
> hem vppe in grece; plante ther-with thin mete & serue forth.
> [Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books]
Okay, but what type of dish is this? I'm afraid I'm not getting very
far in even figuring out just what sort of thing this is, even when I
can identify some of the ingredients, much less creating a redaction of
it. What are "notys"? eggs?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas