[Sca-cooks] bats in Europe? as food?

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 00:24:25 PST 2005

--- Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Hmmm. bout all I remember bats delivering is guano. Good for saltpeter
> and fertilizer but not much else. :-)

On the contrary, my good man.  Bats are wonderfully industrious foresters, and are almost solely
responsible for the pollination and seed dispersal of a wide variety of plants and fruits.  Bats
have an incredibly swift digestive tract, and the seeds from the fruits they eat arrive at the
business end of the bat quite intact, and coated in a nutrient rich goo (bat poopies)which helps
them get started when they hit the ground.  Bats are also exceptionally gifted exterminators, and
a single colony of bats, if it is large enough, can eat upwards of a million pounds of annoying
insects every evening.  They are also quite affectionate, and make decent pets if you can get past
their beedie little eyes... i, personally, think they are creepy, and likely plotting against me.

Unfortunately, they are also a food source in certain tropical countries (which I will not name
for fear of starting a political conflagration).

As for bats being eaten in period Europe, all I can say is 'shame on them if they did.'

I do believe that bats are found on every continent with the exception of Antarctica...though I
could be mistaken about this.

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.