[Sca-cooks] Noty or Notye

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 00:18:22 PST 2005

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Lemons are rather particular about where they grow.  They grow best in a
> temperate to sub-tropical range above freezing and below extreme heat.  They
> also require a lot of water but little rain.  California and Sicily are
> perfect climates.  Florida tends to be too wet.  The temperatures were too
> extreme in Northern Italy in period for lemons to be grown there outside of
> a green house.  The climate in England is,and has been through recorded
> history, incapable of sustaining a commercial lemon crop.  The economics of
> green houses made commercial green house cultivation impractical until
> modern times.  So, other than the occasional specimen in some wealthy man's
> botanical collection, you can forget about lemons growing in England.

Can you list the sources you used which state that lemons will not grow in England?  That having
been said, the original crux of the matter was not really whether the trees would grow in England,
but rather would lemons have possibly been used by a cook who worked/wrote recipes during the time
in which Middle English was popular.  I'm saying, for the time being, 'it looks likely'.

> Waverly Root does mention that in 1494 lemons were being grown for export to
> England, but he doesn't provide a source reference.

Why would they be grown for export to England, if there was no market for them?  See...this is the
kind of 'evidence' which makes me think that lemons were far more popular and widespread in period
England than some would have us believe.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.