[Sca-cooks] References vs. answers - was Lemons and such

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 7 06:26:27 PST 2005

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

> I'm finding it increasingly frustrating to provide information on a
> topic when others are not remotely familiar with background reading on
> the period, and apparently not willing to follow up on pointers by
> going to look at the books.

I think the phenomenon is common, I know I have been guilty of it on
this list occasionally. Often, folks don't really want references, they
want an answer. The problem is, sometimes the answers require more work
than that. I do research in enhanced learning environments, and one of
the common ideas that come out of focus groups with students is the
desire to have some magical system that gives them the answer to their
questions, not a list of relevant references. Indeed, they usually want
a detailed answer to a poorly formed question, or better yet, tell me
what I need to know before I ask (no kidding).

I think one of the difficulties in dealing with the topics on this list
is that those of us who are somewhat new to the topic ask overly
generalized questions that defy a simple answer. The "lemon" question
seems to be one of those cases. So, if I ask if lemons were used in food
in Islamic Spain, I believe the answer would be yes. If I ask if lemons
were used in 9th century Scotland, I think the answer would be no. If I
ask if lemons were used in 14th century France, it appears that a debate
would ensue. However, if I ask if lemons were used in period cooking,
there is no simple answer to the question.

Aogann,
(Who is still trying to get through all those references on Scottish
food in period!)