[Sca-cooks] Re:invalide foods

CLdyroz at aol.com CLdyroz at aol.com
Tue Feb 1 19:41:53 PST 2005

In a message dated 02/01/2005 8:16:36 PM Central Standard Time,
sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org writes:

> Anyone have any suggestions?  My six year old grandson is in the hospital
> with pneumonia, and isn't eating.  They've got him on IV fluids, but he only
> weighed 41 lbs when he went in yesterday, and he's dropped another pound and a
> half overnight.  Any suggestions on what might tempt him to eat?  We've
> offered ice cream and all his favorite foods.  He said he'd eat some chicken
> nuggets, so I went ten miles to the nearest Mickey D's, and he ate half of one.
> He loves root beer, but he won't even taste one.  I'm about at the end of my
> wits.
>
> Mordonna

Mordonna;

Poor little guy!

Have they spoken about the possibility of transferring him up here, to
Children's? If they do, please let me know, privately, and we'll figure out
something for you.
The IVs are giving his body the message that he doesn't need to eat or drink,
while his body is using up his body fat and muscle for energy to fight the
illness. He is not eating, because he doesn't know he is hungry.

One thing I always want when I am sick, is Sherbet. Orange, lime, pineapple,
and especially raspberry-it didn't matter. It is so soothing to the throat,
and it would provide some needed calories. I prefer it to ice cream, really.

One thing that might help is Alphabet Soup. Tell him he has to hunt and eat
his name, his parents' name, his friends, his pets, whatever it takes to make a
small bowl disappear.  Start small-say a quarter of a cup and build up.
Perhaps, if you make a game of it, it will help.

Please keep us informed-he is certainly in my prayers.

Roz