[Sca-cooks] Natron

Carol Eskesen Smith BrekkeFranksdottir at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 5 17:59:22 PST 2005

Uh, Drakey - please take heed, before you ruin a perfectly good batch of pop corn -

Sodium Carbonate would be BASIC, not acidic.  The sodium ion in solution is a strong base, while the carbonate is a weak acid.  Potassium chloride, like sodium chloride, would be neutral; strong positive, and strong negative combine to neutral.  (We're talking lye and hydrochloric acid for the base/acid combination when salt is dissolved, as opposed to lye and carbonic acid for the results of dissolving sodium carbonate.)

Regards,
Brekke