[Sca-cooks] Re: vinegar and sauerbraten

she not atamagajobu at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 20:23:14 PST 2005

Adamantius"
Again, I think we may need to look at what effect, of combination of
effects, the vinegar is there to achieve, and that tends to be a
really hard question when you can't ask the cook.

although, years ago I had some friends that had been in the old ICS (Indian Civil Service) hence familiar with various stages of mystery meat, who swore that dicey meat only needed to be washed well with vinegar ..I have tried this and not gotten sick from funny-smelling/looking meat (rainbow meat, mmm, my favorite)

 This is not, note, the same as saying it works.  but, keeping in mind that wine in period might well be indistinguishable from vinegar, (and what would YOU use last years wine for?) the antiseptic qualities might have been a primary effect, also tenderization, flavor, etc. there's no doubt that they were aware of alcohol's potential to preserve meat, fruits, etc.

my personal explanation for sauerbraten-type recipes is the long marination- it could wait until needed, several days, even several hunts..

And, I believe the original post did request period recipes because the cook wanted to serve sauerbraten at a feast..with so many lovely period recipes available, seems a waste to use one that isn't..

gisele