[Sca-cooks] Re: vinegar and sauerbraten

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 10:18:56 PST 2005

--- she not <atamagajobu at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  This is not, note, the same as saying it works.  but, keeping in mind that wine in period might
> well be indistinguishable from vinegar,

Why do you make this assumption?  If anything, I am inclined to say that wine 'in period' (which
spans a very long time) was likely more concentrated than it is today.  I am basing this
assumption on the ancient Greek custom of diluting wine with water (certainly something we would
balk at today).  Perhaps this custom was a way to stretch the wine, but I think it was likely more
to make it less intense.

Vinegar is a sour liquid, which cannot really be tolerated in the same quantity as wine.  To
assume that wine and vinegar were 'indistinguishable' is, I think, an error.  If wine did not have
a pleasing flavor to our ancestors, why would they continue to make it?

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.