[Sca-cooks] horse recipes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 1 23:50:01 PST 2005

    Serena da Riva gave her translation of a Rumpoldt recipe for horse
meat:
> Seeing that I have my copy of Rumpoldt sitting here on the table -
> here is what he has to say about Horse (and I only know this because
> it has a picture of a horse).

> Never having the desire to prepare horse I have never translated this
> section. So here is an on-the-fly wack at it.
>
> From Wild horse can one prepare in a black Pepper (sauce) / and when
> you will roast it /so salt t well/ then it is a sweet flesh / (one)
<snip>

Thank you! I think I've got a single European recipe for horsemeat in
this file. Many more from Asia, but not much from Europe. This is
further proof that horsemeat *was* eaten in Europe by others than the
poor, even if it might not have been common.

For those who might be interested:
horse-recipes-msg (34K) 10/16/04    Period horse recipes. References.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/horse-recipes-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas