[Sca-cooks] Savour Tosted Cheese Goo

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 11:50:13 PST 2005

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 07:07:10 -0500, Johnna Holloway
<johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu> wrote:

>         Savoury Tosted or Melted Cheese
>
> Sir Kenelme Digbie's The Closet Opened, 1669
> Cut pieces of quick, fat, rich, well tasted cheese, (as the best of
> Brye, Cheshire, &c. or sharp thick Cream-Cheese) into a dish of thick
> beaten melted Butter, that hath served for Sparages or the like, or
> pease, or other boiled Sallet, or ragout of meat, or gravy of Mutton :
> and , if you will, Chop some of the Asparages among it, or slices of
> Gambon of Bacon, or fresh-collops, or Onions, or Sibboulets, or
> Anchovis, and set all this to melt upon a Chafing-dish of coals, and
> stir all well together, to Incorporate them ; and when all is of an
> equal consistence, strew some gross White-pepper on it, and eat it with
> tosts or crusts of White-breat. You may scorch it at the top with a hot
> Fire-Shovel.

Hrm, Camembert and Double Gloucester (or Red Leicester) would work
well in this too.  Toast the bread with a peice of hot metal :-)  or a
blowtorch.  It would leave the bread soft in the middle/bottom and hard on
top.  Different that popping it in the toaster oven.

I like it when recipes include scorching something with hot metal.

You could make an italian version with Marscapone and Parmesan.

I don't know how that would work out,  I may try that some weekend.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson