[Sca-cooks] Savour Tosted Cheese Goo

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Feb 2 04:07:10 PST 2005

These are the rules for people that were wondering-- Johnnae

        Savoury Tosted Cheese Contest at A CELEBRATION OF CANDLEMAS

There will be a Savoury Tosted Cheese Contest held this Candlemas in the
Barony of Bryn Gwlad. Entrants will need to follow the basic recipe sent
forth by Sir Kenelm Digbie's recipe (and not Cariadoc's redaction).
We're looking for new redactions of the old familiar and much beloved
recipe! Now is the time to show off your own special way of preparing
the recipe.

The rules of the contest are simple.

   1. Register to enter by sending an e-mail to CR St. John at
      nweders at mail.utexas.edu
      <mailto:nweders at mail.utexas.edu?subject=Toasted%20Savory%20Cheese%20Contest>.
      Nothing fancy just let her know.

   2. Use the original unredacted recipe to start. Anyone using
      Cariadoc's redaction will be smeared with their own cheese goo. A
      copy of the new redaction must be placed beside the entry for our
      judges to compare and a brief explanation of why you redacted it
      the way you did.

   3. Entrants must have their own heat source. You will not be allowed
      to use the Hall's kitchen and disrupt the cooks there in anyway.
      Extension cords, if needed, will have to be brought by the entrant.

We have an excellent set of judges known for their gourmet tastes (but
are not necessarily cooks themselves - freeing up our best chefs to give
it a try).

        Savoury Tosted or Melted Cheese

Sir Kenelme Digbie's The Closet Opened, 1669
Cut pieces of quick, fat, rich, well tasted cheese, (as the best of
Brye, Cheshire, &c. or sharp thick Cream-Cheese) into a dish of thick
beaten melted Butter, that hath served for Sparages or the like, or
pease, or other boiled Sallet, or ragout of meat, or gravy of Mutton :
and , if you will, Chop some of the Asparages among it, or slices of
Gambon of Bacon, or fresh-collops, or Onions, or Sibboulets, or
Anchovis, and set all this to melt upon a Chafing-dish of coals, and
stir all well together, to Incorporate them ; and when all is of an
equal consistence, strew some gross White-pepper on it, and eat it with
tosts or crusts of White-breat. You may scorch it at the top with a hot
Fire-Shovel.

Sibbolets are what we call spring onions, green onions or scallions. You
may also use chives as a substitute.

You may use bread to dip sauce. It may be any bread you desire. You may
encourage the use of fingers though it might cause problems if the
cheese is very hot. Keep in mind that you can do almost anything except
use Cariadoc's recipe and portions of his Savoury Tosted Cheese (unless
he shows up and enters it). I want original redactions.

Thank you all sooooooo much for your interest and enthusiasm in this
competition. We will try to begin at 12 noon so the judges can eat it
way before feast (grin).

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask . Thanks for your
time. Clare RosMuire St. John