[Sca-cooks] period leavening agents

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 2 22:27:02 PST 2005

Simon Hondy asked about leavening agents:

I am on a slow research for chemical leaveners.
As a start I am looking for the names ancient people would have used for
them. For example Roman's and Egyptians had soda ash for glass
production,
and may have used it in baking.
I ran across another one today, Natron.
<<<
I can't remember the details of these when we talked about them before,
but you might want to take a look through this file. Your own research
may already be beyond what is here, but perhaps there will be something
of use:
leavening-msg     (13K) 11/13/04    Period leavening agents other than
yeast.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/leavening-msg.html

Stefan
--------