[Sca-cooks] Butterfat Content

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 5 11:54:16 PST 2005

William asked:
>What method did you use to determine the butterfat content of your cream?

Well, we used specific gravity to determine the butterfat content of the whole milk, which is how we sold it.  It's been so long, that I don't remember the exact formula, but it is a volume/mass ratio.  Ours was a Grade 'A' dairy, and we only sold whole milk, so I never had the opportunity nor the necessity for determining the butterfat content of the cream.
Since cream is the butterfat that floats to the top of the milk, I would suppose that if you allowed it to settle long enough, it would in time approach nealy 100% butterfat.

Pat Griffin
Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook
Shire of Thorngill, Meridies