[Sca-cooks] The Lemon Question (not related to Anime FanFic)

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sun Feb 6 18:56:35 PST 2005

Greetings,

Here is another aproach to questions about the use of
lemons in our period of study.

On websites that discuss or offer verjus, I have seen
comments about when lemons were introduced into Europe.

I asked my buddy Google to tell me which internet
documents meet these search criteria:

	verjuice lemon|lemons crusade|crusades

The search responded with 31 entries -- use the following
URL to see those 31 search citations.

"Results 1 - 31 of 31 for verjuice lemon|lemons crusade|crusades";
http://www.google.com/search?q=verjuice+lemon%7Clemons+crusade%7Ccrusades&num=100&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&safe=off&filter=0

These may help with the question.

BTW, one of these websites claims that

	The Verjuice Co.
	... The art of producing and using verjuice was
	lost during the Middle Ages when the Crusades
	introduced lemons to France and other Mediterranean
	fruit and wine ...

This one seems more than a little odd to me as verjuice is
mentioned by Platina; "On Right Pleasure and Good Health";
Tr. Mary Ella Milham; hardcover ...

BTW, many thanks to Devra ... I bought my copy of this
wonderful book from her at at a Guilded Pearl event in the
Barony of An Dubhaigeainn.

Continuing ... AFAIK, the crusades occured between
1096 and 1270 and Platina is 1421 to 1481.

	Bartolomeo Platina

	Originally named SACCHI, b. at Piadena, near Mantua,
	in 1421; d. at Rome, 1481. He first enlisted as a
	soldier, and was then appointed tutor to the sons of
	the Marquis Ludovico Gonzaga. In 1457 he went to
	Florence, and studied under the Greek scholar
	Argyropulos. ...

"Bartolomeo Platina"  /Catholic Encyclopedia / New Advent site;
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12158a.htm

IOW, this may be a warning about the validity of internet
research.

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick