[Sca-cooks] Re: Lemons

Katja Orlova katjaorlova at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 07:46:32 PST 2005

> The Viander (1250-1395, depending on the particular
> manuscripts) does not mention lemons.

<snip list of period cookbooks>

I'm doing a Spanish feast next weekend (with extreme
gratitude to Vincent and Brighid for their
translations).

Having just looked at a lot of Spanish recipes, I'd
like to note that lemons are mentioned in both the
Libre de Sent Sovi (Di limonia di polli) and Libro de
Cozina (Limonada). The former is 14th Century, I
think, and the latter is 1529.

I have no idea how common or popular they were in
Spain at this time, but since you were listing
cookbooks that include or don't include the fruit, I
thought folks would like to know.

regards, Katja

=====
-