[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 21, Issue 42

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 8 14:45:03 PST 2005

Benedicte, greetings
Okay I guess I'll bite, having been a Laurel now for
about 4 years(gosh that long ago?? WOW!!) okay, I
recognize the fact that I was elevated for bringing in
a rather new discipline into the SCA,or at least the
Midrealm, ie, animal husbandry especially poultry!
My talents and skill in cooking are acceptable, but
not enough to be considered a 'Cooking Laurel' I may
be the CHICKEN Laurel but I'm only a Laurel who cooks.

I don't know if I would say that the Order looks more
closely for period works than we did before, I don't
know what was before me....But I will say that we do
look fairly closely now at how period and consistent a
candidates works are. Is there constant improvement,
further research, willingness to teach and share all??

I do know that there is more information readily
availble to the common person now then ever before, so
there is a certain expectation that any candidate
would be familiar with a certain minimum of research
vehicles, the Internet, InterLibrary Loan, ect..

I also know that 'THE BAR' (tm) is always being raised
by each new generation of Laurels that comes by. I've
heard it from old timers over and over again, "Wow, I
don't think I would have ever been elevated if we had
to do THAT level of work now a day, then!!" and of
course we younger Laurels and everyone else stands on
the shoulders of the giants that came before us!

So, yes we look more closely than we did before,
because the bar has been raised, and we will look more
closely again later when the bar has been raised yet
again, not so much by old Laurels trying to keep the
youngsters down as is so griped about, but simply each
new generation of Laurels/artist/craftspeople get that
much better!!

Abot Meister Johann von Metten OL
medieval chickens!!

> Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 10:10:04 EST
> From: Bronwynmgn at aol.com
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Midrealm News Regarding
> Cooks

> In a message dated 2/7/2005 10:33:20 A.M. Eastern
> Standard Time,
> countgunthar at hotmail.com writes:
>
> <<Mainly, and this is a question I ask of the
> Laurels on this  list as well, are Laurels now
looked at more closely for their period works than
earlier?>>

> Here in the East you don't even get a kingdom level
> arts award for cooking if you aren't doing
reasonably period stuff.  You
> might get a service award
> for feeding people, but not arts unless you are
> feeding them good period  food.
> So I'm sure the Laurels here look even more closely
> at it.
>
> Brangwayna
> who has not yet had an opportunity to be involved in
> a Laurel  discussion...

> End of Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 21, Issue 42

=====
www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"