[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 21, Issue 47/Lenten questions

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 8 19:17:45 PST 2005

Benedicte,
Dear Philip,
Actually it appears from fairly early records that the
pre paschal fast started quite early, some records
indicate as early as the end of the 1st/beginning of
the 2nd century there was some period of fast.

 Remember that the idea of fasting is not something
Christians thought up by themselves, many of our
fasting traditions of abstaining from certain foods
have direct links to pagan and Jewish ideas of
purification and preparation for some great mystery.

One of the great genius, that is prime directives of
Christianity is to transform and build upon the
cultures the Gospel comes in contact with. It has
often been pointed out that Christianity perse has NO
culture of its' own, its' job is like yeast, to
transform those cultures with which it comes in
contact. It changes those cultures AND those cultures
in turn deepen and change, not so much the Gospel
itself, but how that message is lived out in its new
surroundings.

The Eastern churches have retained the completely
vegan fast in ways that the West has discarded long
ago, while many Roman Catholics today might remember
meatless, fish eating Fridays and such, our medieval
ancestors were refraining from all animal products two
days our of seven throughout the year, and six days
out of seven during the pre-Paschal Lent and the three
other smaller Lents between the Transfiguration and
the Dormition of the Theotokos in August, during
Lamastide, and the Nativity Fast between the Feast of
the Conception of St.Anne and Christmas, all of which
pre date the 5th century at least!

Johann von Metten

> Message: 10
> Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:11:52 -0500
> From: "Phlip" <phlip at 99main.com>
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] a Lenten question-
> Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>
> > And I'm giving up chocolate again this year.
> Anyone else giving something
> > up for Lent?
> >
> > 'Lainie
>
> Yeah, Lent ;-) Living among the proto-Khazars as I
> do, Christianity is just
> another religion.
>
> On a more serious note, though, does anybody know
> when the later, strict
> observances of Lent came into being? I mean, the
> first Easter didn't happen,
> and suddenly all the followers of Christ decided
> that they couldn't eat
> meat/animal products in respect for J's death-
> obviously the observances
> developed ovewr time. Anybody have a clue about
> that?
>
> Saint Phlip,
> CoD
>
> "When in doubt, heat it up and hit it with a
> hammer."
>  Blacksmith's credo.
>
>  If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it
> is probably not a
> cat.
>
> Never a horse that cain't be rode,
> And never a rider who cain't be throwed....
>

> --
> Date: 2/7/05
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 11
> Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 20:19:34 -0500
> From: "Lonnie D. Harvel" <ldh at ece.gatech.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] a Lenten question-
> To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
>

> Laura C. Minnick wrote:.
>
> > And I'm giving up chocolate again this year.
> Anyone else giving
> > something up for Lent?
>
> Well, I would like to give up about 20 lbs, so I
> thanks to my 6th
> graders bright idea, we are all giving up fried food
> for Lent. (Which of
> course means we pigged out on fried chicken tenders
> and french fries
> from Zaxby's tonight.
>
> I have never tried the Medieval Lenten Diet, I am
> not even sure I have
> the analytical wherewithal to sort out the
> heuristics of it! It could be
> fun....
>
> <fantasy encounter>
> "Hey, you're looking great Aoghann, are you on
> Atkins?" "Nope."
> "Southbeach, right?" "Nope." "Well what?" "MLD."
> "MLD? What is that?"
> "Sorry, can't tell you. I signed a a non-disclosure
> to be a part of the
> trial. The book is coming out in February 06!"
> <end fantasy encounter>
>
> Aoghann
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 12
> Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:19:11 -0500
> From: "Phlip" <phlip at 99main.com>
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Citrus, Scurvy and The
> Royal Navy
> [...]

=====
www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"