[Sca-cooks] OoFood topic altogether rant Authenticity police

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Wed Feb 9 14:02:44 PST 2005

Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/8/2005 6:06:53 P.M. EST,
> mdiehl at nac.net writes:
>
> I said:
>
> > I have to wear mundane eyeglasses to function at an
> > event.  I've tried a number of contact options and my
> > eyes don't tolerate them.
>
> Vincenzo replied:
>
> <<Eyeglasses _are_ period.  Period! >>
>
> And in an earlier part of the post had said:
>
> <<Using eye glasses to improve vision is documented to
> have occurred in the late 1200's ... >>
>
> That's all well and good.  However, my persona was long
> dead by the late 1200's, considering she was born in
> 1135 ... so eyeglasses are not period for  my persona.

Right.  I stand corrected.  Thanks.

I am in awe of your strong intent to faithfully create your
persona.

> But I still have to wear them because I can't wear contacts.
>
> Brangwayna

Lets examine this a little closer ...

Robert Grosseteste (1175-1253) was Roger Bacon's mentor;
first chancellor of Oxford; knew the earth was round;
declared that the sphericity of the earth, as of all
stars and planets was proved by natural reason and
astronomical experience; he believed it was impossible
to understand the physical world without mathematics; he
believed that light was the first corporal form ... that
the characteristic property of light was its ability to
propagate itself instantaneously in straight lines in
all directions without loss of substance and that is this
way light had generated the universe ... on these grounds,
Grosseteste believed that the study of optics was the key
to understanding the physical world.

The study of optics led Grosseteste to suggest the use of
lenses for the purpose of magnification:

For this branch of Perspective thoroughly known shows us
how to make things very far off seem very close at hand ...
and how to make distant objects appear as large as we
choose, so that it is possible for us to read the smallest
letters at an incredible distance or to count sand, or
grain, or grass, or any other minute objects.  [14]

[14] quoted in L. Thorndike, "A History of Magic and Science"

>> Correcting lens eye wear came into use a few decades
>> after Roger Bacon (1214-1292) did work on optics --
>> especially ray tracing based on a dissected cow eye.

Jean Gimpel; "Medieval Machine"

My reference doesn't say when Grosseteste made his comments
about seeing small letters, counting sand, etc. -- it does
indicate that Grosseteste's reasoning on optics preceded
Roger Bacon's work -- but not when.

Even though the lives of your persona and Grosseteste do
overlap, his work may not be early enough for your use.
... But we should check for that date -- I wonder where?

I am still in awe of what you are doing to create your
persona.

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick