[Sca-cooks] hemp

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 8 23:16:35 PST 2005

Jadwiga mentioned:
> For instance,
> I once stated that I had not found any documentation that hemp was
> smoked in Europe in period. The response I got, from Ras, was "Well,
> then, maybe someone who is more familiar with the period herbal
> manuscripts should look into it." I wasn't amused, 'cos I was
> referencing about 15 texts at that point. I have to say
> that I still have not found documentation for the recreational smoking
> of cannabis in Christian Europe, and I've been looking. :) But I'm
> willing to take evidence if it comes my way.
I was hoping I could help you out, but when I looked in my hemp-msg
file, the only period references I could find to smoking hemp were
outside of Europe. Oh well. In fact, there is a quote from a period
document in there which talks about pulling up the female plants except
those being kept for seed.

For those interested, there are also several period hemp recipes given
in this file, but they tend to use the hemp seeds.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com