[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 21, Issue 52/Lenten Question

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 06:08:43 PST 2005

Benedicte,
 For myself and countless other Orthodox Christians
around the world, Lent is always vegan, so yes I've
done the whole medieval Lent thing. It is true it is
difficult to give up on meat AND dairy, but such a
period of purification is supposed to be...

Remember that there are some saftey valves and
loopholes even in period, Sundays are always free of
fasting and any form of penance as they are all
'little Pasch' the great feast of the Resurrection
which demands that joy and glory supersede everything
else.

There is a HolyDay of Obligation that falls during
Lent, The Annuciation to the Theotokos, also known as
the Conception of Christ on the 21st of March. Course
this year that also happens to be Great and Holy
Friday!! So confusion reigns!! Seriously it will be a
meatless, though probably dairy in the morning....

The dietary regs are only part of the Lenten practice
and without the whole picture it would be much more
difficult and kinda pointless in my view..

Johann

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 22:11:30 -0800
> From: "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at jeffnet.org>
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] a Lenten question-

> At 10:00 PM 2/8/2005, you wrote:
> >Laura C. Minnick <lcm at jeffnet.org> [2005.02.09]
> wrote:
> > > Has anyone here ever tried doing the full-out
> medieval Lenten diet,
> > during,
> > > er, Lent? I was considering it this year, and
> decided that I really
> > need to
> > > do more research and pile up some Lenten recipes
> before I do it, otherwise
> > > I'm likely to quit after three days because I
> can no longer stand the
> > smell
> > > of almond milk! If anyone has actually done
> this, I'd be interested in
> > > hearing about it.
> >
> >One of our locals did that a few years ago. The
> event was not well
> >attended (and I was unable to go due to outside
> commitments), but
> >according to the voices I've heard the food was
> good.
> >
> >I suspect that you should not try it with a
> fighting, Fighting, FIGHTING
> >style event, but with a minor A&S oriented one.
>
> Uh, I wasn't talking about an event. I was talking
> about eating a Lenten
> diet... for Lent. 40 days. The whole she-bang. By
> comparison, one feast
> would be relatively easy!
>
> 'Lainie

> O it is excellent to have a giant's strength; but it
> is tyrannous To use it
> like a giant--Shakespeare, Measure for Measure, Act
> II

=====
www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"