[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 21, Issue 52/Lenten Question

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 9 06:20:55 PST 2005

Johann scripsit --

>  For myself and countless other Orthodox Christians
> around the world, Lent is always vegan,

On the other hand, many period recipes for Lent -- Forme of Cury etc. -- use
fish.

It seems to me (not a Catholic) that the Lenten diet is no more restrictive
than many others. And it is probably not particularly difficult when
everyone around you is following the same diet, as a medieval Catholic would
be. It is the concept of "giving up" that makes it seem difficult to the
modern, and/or non-Catholic, mind.

Cynara