[Sca-cooks] Great Pies and Florilegium visit counter

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 13 16:46:08 PST 2005

Da replied to my list of some Florilegium files which might be of use
to him in searching for period Great Pie recipes with:
> Thank you I will
> hunt your Florilegium some more as well for other sources.
It looks like you are looking for info on a specific type of period
pie. It might show up in more than one of those files along with many
others. I'm afraid that sometimes my categories don't always match what
others are looking for. That is when the search engine helps. But alas,
there may be a number of medieval recipes that fit into the Great Pie
category, but which aren't labeled as such by the medieval or even
modern authors, so the search engine may miss some.
> Although you
> should stick a visit counter on that work you may be surprised how
> much it
> is used.
Thank you for the suggestion. I do seriously consider any suggestions
that folks wish to send me and they have often changed the way I handle
things. As for a visit counter, my question would be where would you
place it, and what would you count? A counter for each file? Or each
section? Or for the entire site each time a file is accessed? When does
it get reset?

There is this site which has some statistics for the Florilegium. Since
my webhost and gotten things going again it is now being updated, so I
will probably see about advertising it more in my monthly articles and
on the site. http://www.timecastle.net/stats/florilegium.org/

As you can see, the visits range from 53K to almost 82K per month,
which is why I specifically ask when such a counter should be reset.
And up to 11 Gbytes of data being downloaded each month. I wonder why
there is a dip in visits and downloads in the month of August? :-)
> Is there any topic you don`t have in there as articles.
Yes. On my list of things to do is to create a list of articles which I
would like to see written for the Florilegium or elsewhere. I do try to
add from six to 15 new files each month, although this has fallen in
the last eight months as I work on converting all files to the new
format, which among other things masks all email addresses and makes
any links in files "pickable".

Even when a topic is covered, more information often becomes available,
which is why I also try to continue to update many current files each
month. And just because a topic is covered in a message file, that
doesn't mean someone can't write a better, more useable article file.
There are several articles in the Florilegium where an article has
taken the information in a -msg file, adding some more info from their
own research and turned it into a more coherent, useable article.

On this and the Ansteorra list, there have been episodes of "Stump
Stefan and Florilegium". It has been done, but sometimes it is
interesting to see just how close I can get. I probably ought to add a
proviso to that game that if you do stump the Florilegium you have to
write an article or at least a message on the topic, to be considered
for inclusion in the Florilegium.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas