[Sca-cooks] German feast in Meridies

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 14 16:13:42 PST 2005

Greetings all!

This past Saturday, Serena da Riva (temporarily known as"Brunhilde, die
Köchin, Kuchenmeisterin") produced an absolutely incredible German feast.

She posted the menu earlier to this list, but here it is again:
http://www.serenadariva.com/SCACookingPages/MidWinter2005/index.htm

The whole first course was well received at our table. My particular
favorites in this course were the radish salat and the cucummern. We
devoured ours and swiped the remains from a nearby table. The green
field salat (which also had pomegranate seeds) was also enjoyable. We
had a vegetarian at the table, so we held on to that one for the whole
evening. (but with all of the other great food coming, she did not have
to resort to it often.)

The second course was also excellent. Just these two courses would have
made a feast. The bratwurst (made by Brunhilde and company) was served
on a platter which also held a large dish of the lamb knodel in almond
sauce. The pie of indian hen (turkey) was served as a whole pie. It was
a little dry, but not enough to be displeasing. (an issue with the
convection oven, I think) The flavor was wonderful. We were trying to
pace ourselves, but we were already getting stuffed!

The third course had some of the best blackeyed peas I have ever eaten;
and I love blackeyed peas and have a lot of great southern cooks in the
family. I really wouldn't classify this presentation as blackeyed peas,
the flavor was so utterly different. These are already on the home menu
for this coming weekend. The spinach tart was my least favorite of the
multitude of dishes. It seemed to be a little dense. (This is one of
those times in which I would be tempted to use completely non-period
techniques to "improve" a dish, hey, I'm learning.)

The fourth course was our personal catapult into food Valhalla, wings of
Valkyrie and all that. The chicken was perfect! Moist and full of
flavor. The beef roast was so good that one of my guests (first feast
ever) almost started crying. The noodles were so well cooked and
seasoned that you could just eat them by themselves. I had some of our
folks from Georgia Tech there and they were trying to figure out how to
pack up the food in order to take it back to the dorms. I almost past up
the beet and horseradish condiment because I don't like beets. Boy, that
would have been a mistake. A truly wonderful and complex flavor. Eaten
with the noodles and beef, it really took some good food and made it
astounding.

The fifth course was truly a reason to weep. We were all full when this
platter filled with a whole plum tart, a collection of smaller cinnamon
tarts, the piscoten cookies, and hazelnut comfits came out. As full as
we were, we just sat until we could eat some more. Talk some and eat
some, eat some and talk some, we sent very little back. (half of the
plum tart did get smuggled back to campus).

The service was also excellent. Hot food was hot, and cold food was
cold. There were musical interludes, some German dance exhibited, even
singing bread maidens delivering beautiful round loaves to the table
(which was made on site).

I have been in the Society for 24 years, and this feast ranks in that
top list that are all so wonderful that only a fool would try and judge
between them. If I can just get close to this level of artistry, I will
be delighted.

Thank you, oh great Brunhilde, for a wonderful feast!

Pax,
Aoghann