[Sca-cooks] I Got My Portuguese Convent Sweets Books - Who-hoo!

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 22 14:41:36 PST 2005

And only 20 Euros for shipping...grumble, grumble...

Mesa, Doces e Amores no Sec XVII (the table, sweets and passions in the
17th C)
Docaria Conventual do Alentejo as Receitas e o Seu Enquadramento
Historico (convent sweets of Alentejo, the recipes and their history)
Docaria Conventual do Norte Historia e Alquimia da Farinha (convent
sweets of the north, history and alchemy of flour)

Of course, now it's going to take me a while to go through them.
Unfortunately, in quickly skimming the contents, the recipes are not
dated, so there could be modern ones along with the originals.  One of
the introductory chapters mentioned the rise of convent sweets starting
in the second half of the 16th C, and truly blossoming by the 17th C.
and that many of the sweets were created specifically for the nobility,
as these religious orders were also responsible for entertaining Kings.

I'll keep notes as I go along, and eventually I hope to have some
usefull information to share.  There's a fair amount of info on monastic
life in General there too, by the looks of it.

Faerisa