[Sca-cooks] Sumptuary laws on food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 22 18:08:44 PST 2005

In the "coffyns" thread Gisele commented:
> Can't check references on England's sumptuary laws, but the great pie
> was a fine way to get around restrictions on the number of dishes -
> conspicuous consumption being very popular, especially for the
> merchant class primarily affected by them.
Oh? What sumptuary laws on foods? I've heard of the sumptuary laws on
clothing, and I believe, comments on certain foods being appropriate
for the noble classes but not for peasants, and vice-versa, but I
wasn't aware of sumptuary laws on the number of dishes which could be
served.

More details, please. When and where were these restrictions/laws? Can
you quote the exact laws? Anyone?

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------