[Sca-cooks] Re:Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 21, Issue 125

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 20:25:24 PST 2005

Greetings all,
I'm sorry to say when I looked at this site, I saw
such holes that I might drive a twenty mule team train
through. The great generalizations and blanket
statements just scathe me.

and the 17th century shoes just took me over the top!

I will say that I don't know as Churchmen be they high
or low are any more prone to noticing or not noticing
their due than any layperson in like rank, and apt to
do a lot less damage in retaliation!

Johann

http://www.yesnet.yk.ca/schools/projects/middleages/sumptuary/sumptuary.html

> > In those day when you had company over for a
> > meal you had to serve a
> > specified number of courses depending on their
> > class in the feudal system.
> > If you were inviting a high church official to
> > dinner, such as a cardinal,
> > you would have to serve 9 courses. For guests
> > such as bishops, archbishops,
> > or counts you had to serve 7 courses. An
> > ordinary government official would
> > have just 6 courses.
> >
> >  So if this is correct a great pie would get
> > around this in that it has
> > several full course`s within one.
> >
> >  Da
>
> It might if you are thinking nutritionally.
> However, if you were noble enough to be
> entertaining a cardinal, I doubt if you would
> want to cut corners like that.  Churchmen were
> usually very conscious of their position and
> might take offence if you offered only 6 or 7
> courses when they were deserving of 9.  Offending
> churchmen meant that you might not get that
> dispensation that you were looking for.
> This kind of sumptuary law, if it is correct,
> appears to be aimed at the nobility and not the
> lower classes, IMHO.
>
> Huette
> End of Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 21, Issue 125

=====
www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"