[Sca-cooks] Looking for advice about running dayboard fundraiser --looooong

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Feb 24 18:43:02 PST 2005

Geoffrey commented:
> I'm going to be in charge of running the dayboard/luncheon at an event
> in our Barony in May as a fundraiser.
> I've read almost everything in the archives related to this but would
> like suggestions about what has worked for others in the past
> successfully, and just as importantly, what has NOT worked that you
> wouldn't repeat.
If by "archives", you mean the ones for this list you've probably
already seen most of this file:
dayboards-msg     (34K)  2/19/05    SCA dayboards, middle-of-the-day
meals.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/dayboards-msg.html

But there is also this article:
Daybrd-Advent-art (16K)  8/ 5/02    "Dayboard Adventures" by Jadwiga
Zajaczkowa.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Daybrd-Advent-art.html

While not done as a dayboard, this feast review might also give you
some ideas:
finger-fd-fst-art (13K)  9/15/98    A light supper feast using finger
foods.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/finger-fd-fst-art.html

I'm not sure how well paying by the portion will work. I think it is
likely to be confusing and be difficult to track. It may also result in
not selling any unusual foods which folks don't recognize immediately.
People may be less likely to try the more unusual items if they are
paying by the portion. I would consider the one-price buffet and set
your prices accordingly and depend upon donations to make your profits.
For either one you might want to consider labeling each food dish
clearly.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas