[Sca-cooks] Noty or Notye

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Feb 1 05:04:33 PST 2005

Also sprach Chris Stanifer:
>  > > Is this the one?
>>  >
>>  > Noteye. Take a gret porcyoun of Haselle leuys, & grynd in a morter as
>>  > smal as thou may, whyl that they be onge; take than, & draw vppe a
>>  > thrift Mylke of Almaundys y-blaunchyd, & temper it with Freysshe
>>  > brothe;
>
>Anyone have a readable version of this?  I hate trying to filter out
>that 'y-blaunched' crap.
>
>WdG

Harumph! That "'y-blaunched' crap", as you call it, is as much a part
of the culture, and therefore the mindset and, ultimately,
methodology as your dearly-bought modern cook's experience, which
will tell you, for example, not to just dump the rice flour into the
dish if you don't want it lumpy. Part of the game we're playing is
not just to cook, but to learn to think like period cooks.

For a readable version, see my reply to Stefan on this subject.

Of course, reading and cooking a recipe directly from Middle English
can be a chore, but most people find that reading the recipe out loud
(as opposed to trying to visualize everything from reading silently)
helps a lot, and, of course, you can't ignore the value of simple
practice. I'm probably no more gifted at languages than you, but
after years of reading this stuff, I can usually pretty much omit the
separate translation-into-modern-English stage. The real trouble is
when I'm tired and start tacking "for to make" such-and-such onto the
beginning of modern recipes, and chiffonade that chervil until yt be
ynow.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782