[Sca-cooks] Savoury Tosted Cheese Goo

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 1 10:54:47 PST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Sandra Jakl <kieralady2 at yahoo.com>

I'm working on my own entry for the same savoury
toasted cheese comp. I did make my own cream cheese.
It is very tasty, but the consistency, when heated, is
much too watery. I let the first batch drip for 12
hours in a cheesecloth bag. The second batch, I
dripped for 12 hours then hand pressed some more whey
out. I'm trying to make a third new batch where I
press more of the whey out with a cheese press.

I confess that I have never tried heating my own cheese (unless putting some in a casserole counts).  As for draining the whey, you might want to give it 24 hours instead of 12.  Mixing salt into the curds will also encourage drainage.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom