[Sca-cooks] Noty or Notye

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Feb 1 10:36:03 PST 2005

Also sprach Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise:
>  > Harumph! That "'y-blaunched' crap", as you call it, is as much a part
>>  of the culture, and therefore the mindset and, ultimately,
>>  methodology as your dearly-bought modern cook's experience,
>
>Hm... but what about those of us who are not translators and primarily
>cook from non-English manuscripts? We are reading materials in
>translation. When I first started out cooking, despite being an English
>major, I found translating the Middle English frustrating. I also had to
>struggle with gothic typefaces in facsimiles

I can barely read them myself, but I'm not sure I'm getting your
point. Obviously, anyone who needs a translation needs a translation,
and either creates one or obtains one from another source. My point
was only that translating from Middle English, when one is an English
speaker, is eminently doable even for the non-linguists among us, and
that an untranslated language is not necessarily "crap". Marcel
Proust in French notwithstanding.

I touched on this very briefly some time ago, on the subject of
kitchen prep work: sometimes when a task is daunting, you can either
use up all your energy bemoaning how difficult it's going to be to
peel and chop that 50-lb bag of onions, or you can shut up and just
do it, and turn it into a 49 pound bag of onions, then a 48-lb bag,
etc. Sometimes (not always, but sometimes) you just go ahead and do
it, using the tools available to you, such as a good glossary (I
highly recommend the one in the back of Curye On Inglysh) and the
trick I mentioned of reading the text out loud. Hey, it worked in
"The Thirteenth Warrior", ay?

And recipes are especially conducive to this type of treatment
because they tend to be the equivalent of a short paragraph, rather
than pages and pages of text which, if you put it down, you'll lose
your train of thought.

>Now, after years of practice cooking foods in translation, I found that
>I can interpret Middle English a bit better, and I can also read
>facsimiles with facility, if not with comfort.

Yep. Me, too. I'm fairly comfortable with it, too, but everybody
starts off in the same place and moves to that point. Maybe I'm
trying to promote the practice of people doing their own
transliterations (am I using that word correctly?) by not so much
denigrating those who can't or don't, but just by saying the task
shouldn't be all that scary.

A.

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782