[Sca-cooks] Noty or Notye

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Feb 2 15:45:40 PST 2005

Also sprach Micheal:
>I am not convinced either actually. That it isn`t the same or a
>close cousin. I do know it did not have hazelnuts or leaves. Because
>my lady ate the dish and she is allergic to hazel nuts, and I
>suspect hazel leaves.
>  But that was before I was doing my own redactions. The person may
>simply have replaced the hazels with walnuts. Along with removing
>the leaves as well.
>
>Da

Yeah, I thought that was at least  a possibility. I've seen greater
departures from period recipes: somebody published a mortrews recipe
(boiled pork or capon, boned and pounded to a puree, returned to its
broth, thickened to a pudding consistency with bread crumbs or rice
flour) which emerged as a fairly standard meatloaf.

Adamantius