[Sca-cooks] Re: vinegar and sauerbraten

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 2 19:37:31 PST 2005

You're wrong.  Grappa is a brandy made from the pomace of the winemaking.
As a brandy, it has no bearing on the strength of wines and was unknown in
Antiquity (which doesn't mean the name was not used for something else, just
that I haven't encountered it).

If you want some idea about wines in Antiquity let me recommend a reading of
Pliny.  The information is extensive and varied, so I won't try to repeat it
here.

Romans drank watered wine for its healthful properties and to thin the
thicker vintages.  They drank unwatered wine to get intoxicated.  Those who
believed in the old Roman virtues drank their wine watered and found those
who drank for intoxication to be abominable citizens.  Drink is one of those
fun cultural studies from Antiquity.

Bear