[Sca-cooks] Re: vinegar and sauerbraten

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 20:01:35 PST 2005

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> You're wrong.  Grappa is a brandy made from the pomace of the winemaking.
> As a brandy, it has no bearing on the strength of wines and was unknown in
> Antiquity (which doesn't mean the name was not used for something else, just
> that I haven't encountered it).

Ah.  Right.  Grappa is a brandy, and thus would have been distilled, and the strength bolstered.
Thanks for the reminder.

However, some sources point to the 14th or 15th century as possible 'born on' dates for Grappa,
so, while not necessarily 'of Antiquity', it is possibly a 'period potable'.  Similar to the
French 'Marc', though I do not have a reference for when Marc was first introduced.  Another
beverage to consider.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.