[Sca-cooks] Natron

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Feb 3 04:51:32 PST 2005

> --- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>> >From the recipe, it looks as though sodium carbonate may be used as a
>> substitute for sodium chloride, thus a seasoning.
>

> How similar in flavor are sodium carbonate and sodium chloride???  Anyone
> have any sodium
> carbonate they care to sprinkle over some popcorn and offer up their
> opinion?
>
> William de Grandfort

They aren't particularly close in flavor, but remember that this is mixed
into a recipe rather than sprinkled on top.  As a salt, sodium carbonate
does provide a mild acidic taste to combat flat taste.  It would be similar
to our use of potassium chloride as a salt substitute these days.  Not the
same as sodium chloride, but noticeable.

Rather than focusing on just one small use for sodium carbonate, you really
need to look at how sodium chloride/carbonate/nitrate and potassium
chloride/carbonate/nitrate have been used over time and the chemical
properties in various situations.

Bear