[Sca-cooks] bats in Europe? as food?

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Fri Feb 4 15:49:13 PST 2005

Stefan li Rous wrote:

>    William de Grandfort commented:
>  > --- Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com> wrote:
>  >> These "airplanes" are pretty good at delivering fresh
>  >> foods, as are their cousins "trucks," which I'm given
>  >> to understand travel on the ground as is proper for
>  >> mortals, instead of in the sky, which is the province
>  >> for birds and angels....
>  >
>  > And bats, too... don't forget bats.
>
> Hmmm. bout all I remember bats delivering is guano. Good
> for saltpeter and fertilizer but not much else. :-)

Bats eat flying insects by the ton.

> Bats are native to Europe as well as North America, right?
> Are there any medieval recipes for bats or references to
> them being eaten?

I sincerely hope not -- not even as illusion food.

OTOH, I do recall seeing a TV special on bat habitat --
and skunks going inside to 'harvest' fallen baby bats off
the floor of the cave.  Yum!  Yum!

Some additional info ...

"NJ Outdoor Women's League Bat Walk Outing";
http://www.njowl.org/outing9-01bat.htm

and this especially charming image ...

"Winter Bat Surveys / Spot the Sodalis";
http://www.batmanagement.com/Projects/2004WinterSurveys/pages/HiberniaSodalisInMiddle.html

Success Stories: Bats;
http://www.batcon.org/batsmag/v20n2-16.html

And scroll down to the last item to read ...

	"Success Story: Little Brown Bat, Myotis lucifugus"

	New Jersey's Hibernia Mine, a source of iron ore
	since 1722, was by the 1980s one of the most
	important bat-hibernation sites in the northeastern
	U.S. The long-closed mine was the winter home for
	more than 25,000 little brown bats.

This specific bat hibernaculum is about 3 miles from where
I am sitting.

> Stefan

> (who was well aware that fresh seafood is delivered to
> even Montana by air. Was just kidding Maire. Austin is at
> least three hours from the Gulf by truck. Once you get
> that distance, most fresh seafood probably is flown in,
> and it probably doesn't make much difference how long the
> flight is)
> --------
> THLord Stefan li Rous

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick