[Sca-cooks] bats in Europe? as food?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 4 18:53:08 PST 2005

Martin G. Diehl wrote:

>>Hmmm. bout all I remember bats delivering is guano. Good
>>for saltpeter and fertilizer but not much else. :-)
>>

>>Bats are native to Europe as well as North America, right?
>>Are there any medieval recipes for bats or references to
>>them being eaten?
>>

>I sincerely hope not -- not even as illusion food.

So, at this point, I have to mention that, while it wasn't Europe in
period, when I lived in Papua New Guinea, we had fruit bats or "flying
foxes"...these guys had a four-foot wing span and, when landing, sounded
like Superman coming in!  The locals would go out at night and shine
their flashlights up into the trees, blinding the bats...then shoot
them.  They took them home and smoked them, considering them to be a
great delicacy.

Kiri