[Sca-cooks] Noty or Notye

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 4 17:50:56 PST 2005

Chris Stanifer wrote:

>--- Robin Carroll-Mann <rcmann4 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>Not a linguistic flame (not a flame, actually), but a culinary comment.
>>I would be *very* surprised to see lemon juice in a recipe written in
>>Middle English.  Even in the Mediterranean corpus, there's very little
>>use of lemon until late period.
>>

>[snip]
>The above citation is from an online article written by Clifford A Wright.
>http://www.cliffordawright.com/history/lemonade.html
>
>I have also heard that the Greeks may well have been cultivating lemons within our early period of
>interest.
>

>William de Grandfort

I'm sorry -- I was being imprecise.  By "Mediterranean corpus" I meant
the medieval Spanish and Italian cookbooks with which I am familiar.
(This includes the "Anonymous Andalusian".)  I don't deny that lemons
were known and used in some places during SCA period.  I would still be
astonished to find lemon juice in a 14th or 15th century English recipe.

--
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net