[Sca-cooks] Lemons was Noty or Notye

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Feb 5 12:38:23 PST 2005

The Indus site with the lemon shaped earring is Mohenjo-Daro.

Aristophanes, Virgil, Theophrastus, Pliny and Antiphanes have presumably
written about lemons (or possibly citrons; one needs to remember that
Linnaeus considered lemons to be a variety of citron and their establishment
as a seperate species is fairly recent) which pushes western knowledge of
the fruit back to the 3rd or 4th Century BCE.  Whether or not these writers
had direct contact with the fruit is another question, but the probability
that they encountered the fruit personally is greater after Alexander's
conquests in northern India around 325 BCE.

I've found some references to lemons being grown in Libya and imported into
Rome during Trajan's reign, but I have yet to find the source for that
statement.

Just for fun, here's a piece discussing the origin and spread of citrus
fruits with a bit more on the various arguments for and against lemons:

http://lib.ucr.edu/agnic/webber/Vol1/Chapter1.htm

Bear