[Sca-cooks] Lemons in Middle English

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 00:41:17 PST 2005

--- Robin Carroll-Mann <rcmann4 at earthlink.net> wrote:

>  In any case, the English in the
> footnote quote is much more modern than the Middle English of the main text:

That was my thinking, as well.

> No one is questioning that lemons were known in medicinal circles in
> medieval England  (Whether they were used in English medicine is another
> question.).

No, but the question was whether they may have appeared in Middle English references (or, more
precisely, recipes).  Still looking for those, but the evidence is pointing towards the
possibility that lemons may have been known (and used) in English medicine and cooking in the
1300-1400's.  I have many pages bookmarked, and many books to check out from yon Library before I
can offer up more info.

William de Grandfort
(Middle English is my brothers specialty..not mine... so please bear with me.  I can barely
decipher what I have found. If need be, I'll just ask him...)

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.