[Sca-cooks] Lemons in Middle English

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 6 12:38:36 PST 2005

Chris Stanifer wrote:

>--- Robin Carroll-Mann <rcmann4 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>No one is questioning that lemons were known in medicinal circles in
>>medieval England  (Whether they were used in English medicine is another
>>question.).
>>
>>No, but the question was whether they may have appeared in Middle English references (or, more precisely, recipes).  Still looking for those, but the evidence is pointing towards the possibility that lemons may have been known (and used) in English medicine and cooking in the 1300-1400's.  I have many pages bookmarked, and many books to check out from yon Library before I can offer up more info.

I look forward to seeing what information you can produce.  Your
evidence so far consists of two citations apparently found through a
keyword search of the Corpus of Middle English Prose and Verse.

http://www.hti.umich.edu/c/cme/

The first citation is for a different word entirely, and the second is a
footnote that probably comes from a 17th century source.  I confess that
I'm puzzled by your continued optimism.

>William de Grandfort
>(Middle English is my brothers specialty..not mine... so please bear with me.  I can barely
>decipher what I have found. If need be, I'll just ask him...)

Please share whatever you learn.

--
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom