[Sca-cooks] Lemons in Middle English

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 16:19:29 PST 2005

--- Robin Carroll-Mann <rcmann4 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I look forward to seeing what information you can produce.  Your
> evidence so far consists of two citations apparently found through a
> keyword search of the Corpus of Middle English Prose and Verse.
>
> http://www.hti.umich.edu/c/cme/

How'd you know????   :)   Yes.  That was my first stop, and since I know very little of Middle
English (never thought intentional misspellings were all that interesting), I figured i would just
'browse'.

> The first citation is for a different word entirely,

Who knew?  Lemon, leman....again with the misspellings. Oy!

 and the second is a
> footnote that probably comes from a 17th century source.  I confess that
> I'm puzzled by your continued optimism.

My optimism stems from the stubborn belief that, if the Crusaders were carrying back lemons to
Europe after the invasion of The Holy Land, then certainly they must have found some merit in
them.  And, if they found merit in them, then they would likely wish to obtain more, and use them
more frequently.  I am (ever) confident that there were ships travelling from the Orient just
bursting with lemons )okay...maybe not bursting).

Also consider that quite a few countries bordering Europe at the time were seemingly in love with
the lemon.  Hey, a couple million unwashed heathens can't be wrong, right??

Maybe I'll come up with a great big goose egg, but I'm going to look a little deeper into this for
the time being.  Maybe, in the process, I'll gain an appreciation of Middle English..... but don't
hold your breath. :)

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.