[Sca-cooks] Lemons in Middle English

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 00:11:27 PST 2005

--- Robin Carroll-Mann <rcmann4 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> The above is speculation on your part.  You're entitled to your
> opinions, but until you have some evidence to back them up, I'm not
> inclined to believe something that runs contrary to the information we
> do possess.

How does this 'run contrary' to the information?  'Running contrary' would indicate that you have
a source saying that lemons *were not* available in 14th and 15th century England.  If anyone has
one of these sources, please feel free to post it.  The original spark which started this thread
(and my search for the lemon in period England and Europe) was an insinuation that lemons would
not have been used in a Hollandaise sauce written in Middle English.  That's speculation, as well.
 There is evidence that the lemon was known in England during the time in question, and there may
be even more evidence to prove that it was widely known.  However, if we simply throw up our hands
and say "I haven't seen a reference to it in the books that I have, so therefore it simply didn't
exist", and imply that a search for the lemon in period England is fruitless (no pun intended this
time) is a closed-minded approach (which is prevailent on this list).

We have references that the lemon was known during the time in question.  Certainly there may be
more references which show that it was more wide-spread than originally believed.  There may be
other references whcih indicate that it was simply an oddity, and not worth further investigation.
 However, if we don't look, we'll never know.

It's very easy to hide under the cover provided by the limited surviving documentation currently
in our possession, and foster the belief that these documents are the breadth and width of the
world at the time.  However, even the most stalwart nay-sayer on this list has to entertain the
notion that maybe...just maybe...these dozen or so books do not contain everything which was ever
consumed, worn, made or believed during the Middle Ages.

And, if we don't speculate, we'll never investigate.  Scientific theory's are just
that...speculation based upon observed or assumed evidence.  Once the speculation leads to
discovery, the theory becomes fact.

> I looked at the website for Global Orange Groves UK, which you cited.
> Yes, they do sell lemon trees.  On their main page, I found the
> following care information:
>
> "Full growing instructions are provided with each tree purchased, but
> the main points are: Citrus trees prefer cool rather than hot
> conditions. Keep your tree outside in Summer and protect from frost in
> winter by placing in a conservatory or greenhouse."
> http://www.globalorangegroves.co.uk/
>
> So, even in modern, warm England, lemon trees cannot be planted in the
> orchard and be expected to thrive.

Actually, that's a rather imperical statement.  The website does not say, anywhere, that lemon
trees 'cannot' be planted in the orchard and expected to thrive.  It merely offers a
low-maintenance method for keeping your trees healthy in the winter.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.