[Sca-cooks] Lemons in Middle English

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 00:43:30 PST 2005

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Other than some authorities saying that Crusaders brought lemons back with
> them, what is the evidence?

I'm looking for primary source documentation, but that's a pretty obscure topic.  It may be a bit
harder for me, the lay-person, to find.

> Now, having been introduced to lemons on the Cruasdes, the Crusaders might
> have wanted to continue their lemon fix after returning home.  That might
> explain how the lemon trade out of Spain and Sicily got started.

It might.  And, if there was active trade in lemons at that time, then can we not assume (I think
we can) that there was a market for them in England during the period in question?

Please remember, as this topic seems to be changing with each additional author, that I set out
looking for evidence that lemons were known and used in cookery during the height of the 'Middle
English' debacle 1300's to 1400's or thereabouts), and that it is certainly likely that a 'Middle
English' cook would have included lemons in a recipe (if he/she liked them to begin with)..

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.