[Sca-cooks] Lemons in Middle English

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Feb 7 06:19:36 PST 2005

William, you are the one who set the "Middle English" limit.  Middle English
is usually meant to be the English in use between 1100 and 1500, which
covers the Crusades through the Renaissance.  IIRC, you are also the one who
brought the Crusaders into the debate, so trying to reset the debate to a
1300-1400's limit is a little problematic.  But let us consider available
sources (with the understanding that I did a quick survey and may be wrong).

The Viander (1250-1395, depending on the particular manuscripts) does not
mention lemons.  Neither does Menagier (1393) or Du fait de cuisine (1420).
The Liber cure cocurum (1st half of the 14th Century) doesn't mention them
and I don't remember the Two Fifteenth Century Cookbooks (1430 and 1450)
having lemons in any recipe.  The Anonimo Veneziana (sic?) (14th Century)
does mention them as do Martino (15th) and De Nola (16th).  Keukenboek (16th
century Dutch) makes no mention of lemons.  In England, A.W. A Book of
Cookrye (1591) has recipes as does A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen
(1608, which is IIRC a screw citation for Plat).

Curiously, Markham's The English Housewife makes no mention of lemons that I
can find.

What these cookbooks suggest is that lemons were not used much in Northern
Europe before the 16th Century and that they were introduced into
Mediterranean cooking in the 14th Century and popularized in the 15th and
16th Centuries.  The cooks who created these recipes would certainly have
used lemons if they were available.  The fact that they are not mentioned
leads one to believe that lemons were not available.

We know that people in Europe had knowledge of lemons no later than the 1st
Crusade (probably earlier).  We know that someone in England had first hand
experience with lemon juice by 1400 (OED).  What we haven't determined is
where that knowledge was gained.  A refreshing lemon drink experienced in
Turkey does not translate to lemons in England.  Knowledge and experience
are different things.

While I did provide you with a couple of references, one to lemons being
marketed in Paris in the 13th Century and the other to lemons being grown
for export in the Azores in 1494, let me remind you of the caveat; I have
not seen the sources for those statements.  I offered them not as facts, but
as points to research.  Without some supporting documentation, they are
merely interesting anomalies.  Knowing that a market existed doesn't provide
any information about the scope of that market.  For example, the first
recorded sale of bananas (they weren't the first, but that is another story)
in England was in 1633.  From that fact, how big was the market?  It takes a
little bit of digging, the market was one bunch.  Other bananas may have
been sold there at other times, but a serious commercial trade in bananas
didn't exist until the 19th Century.  What is the scope of the lemon market
in England?

Harrison's Description of Elizabethan England 1577 doesn't mention those
great rolling lemon orchards, so I guess he was blind.  Lemon trees grow
best in a temperature range of 50-95 degrees F.  They like to be well
watered but prefer a dry climate.  That's fairly standard textbook
agriculture, but just to give you a reference,
http://www.easyfruit.co.uk/lemons/ .  This means that growing an orchard of
lemons in England is a losing proposition.  Which in turn means that any
commercial lemon growing is limited to green houses, suggesting that lemons
were not grown for sale in England, but imported.  No one disputes that
lemons can be grown in a green house (as the diary at the website above
proves) just that we have no evidence that it was done in England prior to
the modern period.

A theory fits all known facts.  Your speculation does not fit the facts we
know nor does it adequately answer the questions we have, so we discount its
accuracy.  Your speculation may have merit, but it is not up to us to
disprove your speculation, it is incumbent on you to prove your case.  That
means providing the documentation.  And you can't complain you're just a
layman and don't have access, I don't have any academic credentials or
access to a lot of documents either other than through readily available
sources.

None of us is opposed to you being right, we just want to see the evidence,
because we haven't found it.

Bear.