[Sca-cooks] Out of the food topic altogether rant Authenticity police

Micheal dmreid at hfx.eastlink.ca
Mon Feb 7 09:35:13 PST 2005

 Every time I hear or see this comment I  laugh or get upset depending on my
mood and the situation.  Sorry this does not apply directly to the author of
the comment. but to the audacity and commonality of its usage. So do not
take it as such. Nor does it apply to the situational usage of it. But to
the audacity and commonality of its usage. It is the comment itself to which
I bring distaste.
 I have several Authenticity police members in my Barony who avoid me out of
survival needs. I have seen good cooks quit trying or cooking or the society
altogether because of such commentary.
>  I'm doubting that it's "period for the SCA",  Or the ever thoughtful
> "Thats not period" applied to arts Cooking is most objectively an art.
  The most comical situation I have ever been involved in with such a person
was. Standing before me questioning  while wearing polyester garb about the
authenticity of the dish they had just enjoyed vehemently. While I was
holding the book it came out of in my hands. Some of you might even know the
book called the Complete Dagger Licking Good. Written by one of our own
people. Which I must say has a recipe for Herbed Lemon- garlic Chicken on
page 87. .